On Thursday, we were fortunate enough to have the opportunity to Skype with our Quad Blogging buddies, Mrs. Ranney’s class. While we live on the east coast of the United States, they live on the west coast, in California. We were able to learn so much thanks to Mrs. Ranney and her wonderful students.
Thanks to our recorders, Ariel, Natalie, and Mike, as well as the wonderful students of Mrs. Watson’s class, we were able to have great discussions about similarities and differences between the two classes.
Here are just a few things that we learned during our Skype chat:
- California has an area of about 158,633,000 miles, while Massachusetts has an area of about 10,555 miles. We learned that California is the third largest state.
- California has a population of 37,000,000 people! Massachusetts has about 5,500,000 people. That means that California has about 31,500,000 more people than Massachusetts!
- The capitol of California is Sacramento. The capitol of Massachusetts is Boston.
- Their town has a population of 23,058 people. Our town has about 2,600 people.
- They have 600 students at their school, 120 in their grade, and 22 in class. We have 230 students in our school, 33 in our grade, and 15 in our class.
- We live near the Atlantic Ocean. They live near the Pacific Ocean.
- Our state mammal is the right whale. Theirs is the California grey whale
- Our state bird is the black-capped chickadee. Theirs is the valley quail.
- Our state insect is the ladybug. Theirs is the dog-faced butterfly.
- Our state tree is the American elm. Theirs is the redwood.
- Our state flower is the mayflower. Theirs is the golden poppy.
We also learned some other interesting facts about them. They have many references to gold because of the gold rush in the 1800s. Their state flower is the golden poppy. Their state colors are gold and blue. Their state metal is gold. Their state motto is even, “Eureka! I’ve found it!” to represent those who were lucky enough to strike it rich.
We’re so thankful to Mrs. Ranney and her class for taking the time to chat with us. We learned so much and hope to Skype with them again soon!
*What was the largest difference between California and Massachusetts?*
*How are Massachusetts and California similar?*
*Have you ever been to California before?*
Thanks for the information. I am not sure what your state cupcake would be. See you soon!
Dear Jamie and Carly,
I have never tried butterscotch before. I don’t like chocolate or frosting so I like oatmeal and sugar cookies. Do you like either of my favorite cookies? What do butterscotch cookies taste like?
Natalie S. ♥
Dear Mr. Avery and Class,
Hello, this is Carly and Jamie from Mrs. Ranney’s class in California. We recently Skyped with you, and we really enjoyed it.
To answer your first question, California has a lot more land. Because California has more land, we also have a lot more people than you.
To respond to your second question, our state capitals are both about 45 minutes away from where we attend to school.
Because we live in California, we can’t answer your third question, so we will tell you that we have never been to Massachusetts before.
@Natalie S We both think that it is very intriguing that your state cookie is the chocolate chip cookie. Carly’s mom makes really scrumptious butterscotch and chocolate chip cookies, so those would be our favorites.
If we had a state cupcake, we would like it to be the chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting.
Carly and Jamie☺
Dear Mr. Avery,
Hi, it’s me Mikayla from Mrs. Ranney’s class. When we Skyped, I think you said that you have a state cookie and a state cupcake. We discussed it, but you never told us. We want to know what they were. Bye for now!
We said that we do have a state cookie it is the chocolate chip cookie. We don’t have a state cupcake though. If you had a state cookie and a cupcake what would you what it to be?
♥ Natalie S. ♥
Dear Mr. Avery,
I really enjoyed skyping with Mrs. Ranney’s class! I got to see Ella. My mom was very interested in skyping with other classes. I love learning more about more and more interesting facts about other classes. What was your favorite part about skyping with Mrs. Ranney’s class?
I really enjoyed Skyping with them also! My favorite part was learning about all their state symbols. California is a place that I’ve always wanted to visit so it’s interesting to learn much more about them.
What was your favorite part?
Dear Mr. Avery,
My favorite part was that too! I never knew that they had a state color before! Golden blue makes sense. Our state color should be light blue because of a lot of ocean. What do you think our state color should be?
Dear Mr. Avery,
Skyping with Mrs. Ranney’s class was very fun. I learned a lot of about California. I got to see the other Ariel too.
I’m glad you enjoyed it. It’s always fun getting know other classes in different parts of the world. It helps us to learn more about other states too and that includes me! I had no idea that the state colors of California were gold and blue.